Happy Birthday America!


Who else believes that cherries are the fruit of the summer?  Okay, well it could just be me, but I could sit down with a bowl of fresh cherries and watch some shows that I have to admit are my guilty obsessions...keeping up with the kardashians anyone? But this time I decided to actually bake something with the cherries instead of eating them all by myself.  At first I was thinking of the classic cherry pie but decided against it.  The reason being is that I'll never come close to Tyler's grandmothers recipe so why even try.  By the way Grandma, if you are reading this I sure could use a cherry pie in my life right about now.  If you could mail it overnight via UPS I would appreciate it greatly.  But anyways, since I wasn't about to touch the classic I went with cherry scones.  Why you may ask?...well because I love all things scones see here & here.

Cherry Scones
Ingredients
1 3/4 c all-purpose flour, plus more for work surface
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
2 1/2 tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt
6 tbsp unsalted butter, chilled and cut 
1 c fresh cherries 
1 tsp lemon zest
1 egg
5 tbsp milk, plus more for brushing on scones
2 tbsp turbinado sugar for topping scones

Directions
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.  In a mixer attached with a paddle, combine flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt.  Add cut butter and combine until mixture resembles a coarse meal.  Stir in cherries and lemon zest.  In a small bowl, beat together egg and cream.  Add to flour mixture, stir gently with a fork until mixture just comes together.  If dough seems too dry, add a splash of cream; mixture should not be too sticky.  Transfer dough to a lightly floured work surface.  Shape dough into 2 4-inch circle, about 1 inch thick.  Using a sharp knife, cut dough into 6 equal wedges.  Place scones on prepared baking sheet; lightly brush tops with milk and sprinkle with turbinado sugar.  Bake until golden brown, 12 to 14 minutes.  Let cool slightly on baking sheet before transferring to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.  Scones are best eaten the day they are made.  

*recipe adapted from Martha Stewart

No comments