A Sunday Brunch at Home

Although Tyler & I love going out and trying new and old favorites for brunch, we decided this Sunday was better spent at home.  Tyler didn't get out of work until 4am Saturday night so I didn't think he would be up to getting ready and going somewhere to wait for a table. I took matters into my own hands and broke out my new cookbook here i've been dying to cook something out of.  Which leads me to these pancakes...flatjacks...hotcakes, whatever you may call them.  I had never had cornmeal pancakes before and to be honest I had never even heard of them.  But I must say they may be better than what used to be my favorite, buttermilk pancakes.

Cornmeal Pancakes
 1 c all-purpose flour
1/4 c cornmeal
2 tbsp sugar
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/4 c milk
3 tbsp butter, melted
1 large egg
1/2 c strawberries, chopped
1/2 c blueberries

Heat griddle to 375 degree.  In bowl, with wire whisk, stir flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt.  Add milk, butter and egg and stir until flour is moistened.  Add strawberries & blueberries and mix well.

Spray griddle with cooking spray.  Pour batter onto griddle using a 1/4 measuring cup.  Cook until tops are bubbly, and edges look dry.  With wide spatula, flip pancake over and cook until underside is golden.  Transfer to wire rack. 

Repeat with remaining batter, spray griddle with more oil if necessary.  Makes 3 servings. 

Top pancakes with confectioners sugar & homemade whipped cream.  

recipe adapted from The Good Housekeeping Cookbook


No comments