COFFEE ICE CREAM + CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE (RECIPE ONE) = SANDWICH

This past weekend Tyler made his first batch of ice cream for the summer.  It was this amazing coffee ice cream recipe here .  He decided at the end to add a caramel swirl on top which made it that much more delicious.  As the ice cream was setting up in the freezer, I got this craving for some chocolate chip cookies, and this is why I ALWAYS keep a couple of bags of chocolate chips in the house.  I really should do a post on my favorite chocolate chip cookies.  I swear I'm addicted to them! I actually found the recipe for these cookies in one of my Glamour magazine a few months ago now.  This is probably my third time making this recipe, and it has yet to fail me.  This cookie has the perfect balance of sweetness with that little bit of saltiness. I don't know why I had never thought to add a top sprinkling of fleur de sel or sea salt to the cookies before reading this recipe. But I must say, it was an eye opener for sure.  After I prepared the dough I let it sit in the refrigerator over night...well...actually...I baked 4 cookies and then put the rest of the dough in the refrigerator ;)

Once the cookies were cooled and the ice cream was ready we decided to test out some ice cream sandwiches...and the verdict is...WOW!
Chocolate Chip Cookies
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
3/4 tsp baking soda
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temp
1 cup sugar
2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 large eggs, at room temp
12 oz. milk chocolate chips or chunks
fleur de sel for sprinkling

1. Center rack in middle of oven; pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F.  Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.  2. Whisk together flour, salt, and baking soda, set aside.  3. Use a standing mixer, fitted with paddle attachment, beat butter and sugars on medium speed for 3 minutes until well blended.  Beat in vanilla.  Add eggs one at a time, make sure you beat the eggs for a minute after each addition.  4. Reduce mixer speed to low; add dry ingredients in three portions, mixing only until each addition is incorporated.  Make sure not to over mix the dough.  5. With a rubber spatula mix in the chocolate chips or chunks* 6. Using a cookie scoop places tablespoonfuls onto baking sheets, leaving about 2 inches between each, Sprinkle with fleur de sel. 7. Bake cookies for 10-12 minutes, or until they are brown at the edges and golden in the middle.  Remove from oven and let rest for a minute, then transfer them to a cooling rack.  8. Keep repeating this process until all cookie dough is gone.  Make sure to let the baking sheets completely cool before adding cookie dough to them.  

*After adding the chocolate chips or chunks to the dough, I like to cover the dough with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for at minimum 4-6 hours but for best results 24 hours.    

No comments